Hardware requirements [For all servers database and SharePoint]:
- 64-bit processor
- For front-end servers, RAM – 4GB for development, 8GB for production.
- For Database servers, RAM – 8GB for small deployment, 16GB for medium deployments.
- 80GB of hard disk
- 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 or 64-bit Windows Server 2008 SP2.
- For development environments, we can use either Windows 7 or Windows Vista. But, it is highly recommended that we should not use these OS for production environments.
- 64-bit SQL Server 2008 R2 or 64-bit SQL Server 2008 with SP1 and CU2 only or 64-bit SQL Server 2005 SP3.
Remember, to install SharePoint 2010, it checks for all prerequisites required and if it didn’t find any then it starts downloading them from Microsoft site and install them in your server. Below are the listed modules which installs by the preparation tool.
- Web Server (IIS) role
- Application Server role
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1
- SQL Server 2008 Express with SP1
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x64)
- Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0
- Microsoft Chart Controls for the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- Windows PowerShell 2.0
- SQL Server 2008 Native Client
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services ADOMD.NET
- ADO.NET Data Services Update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- A hotfix for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that provides a method to support token authentication without transport security or message encryption in WCF.
- Windows Identity Foundation (WIF)
For information please refer this MSDN article.