Thursday, February 10, 2011
Install SharePoint Foundation 2010 on Windows 7
We can setup the development environment we can do that on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008.
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 is the next version of the Windows SharePoint Services. To install SharePoint Foundation 2010 we have to check the environment like whether we are installing for development or for production. First thing we have to check is hardware/software requirements.
If you want to install for development use then please follow this post. Otherwise continue.
- ADO.NET Data Service Update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Microsoft Filterpack 2.0 (a part of the SharePoint 2010 Foundation distribution)
- Microsoft Sync Framework
- SQL Server Native Client
- Windows Identity Foundation (KB974405)
- Enable or install all IIS components required. For this Microsoft given a script which install all required and which will be run through command prompt. Open command prompt and paste this code and hit enter.
- WCF hotfix for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
- WCF hotfix for Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- If Windows Vista then install below software
start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-Security;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-WindowsAuthentication;IIS-DigestAuthentication;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMICompatibility;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI;WCF-HTTP-Activation;WCF-NonHTTP-Activation
- Make sure all of the prerequisites installed in the server as described above. It is not a big problem that even they weren't installed SharePoint Foundation tries to install them by downloading from internet. But, it is good if we have all ready.
- Download SharePoint Foundation 2010 from Microsoft download center.
- Extract the package to a safe location using /extract from command prompt.
- From the extracted path, you will fund config.xml which is the installation configuration file.
- Open it in the text editor like notepad and add the below line in <Configuration> tag.
<Setting Id="AllowWindowsClientInstall" Value="True"/>
- Run the setup of the SharePoint Foundation.
- Follow wizard and all options as required. [Select Standalone if you are installing for first time]
- At last step uncheck the option "Run SharePoint Products and Configuration Wizard" and click Finish.
- Before run the configuration wizard, it is good always to check for any cumulative updates are available. For that, please check it here.
- Now, run the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" from Start –> All Programs –> Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products.
- It will take time to install all steps and will be completed successfully without any issues if we configure everything correct.
- Once done with all and if your web sites needs to support different languages then download and install all language packs needed.
- Open Central Administration site and configure all as needed.
Note: Once you have installed language packs for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 then we should run the SharePoint Products and Configuration Wizard. Otherwise the language packs do not work correct.
Some more information:
After you have installed all, you will see everything running fine. When you go to sql server and check for databases, it creates a total of 6 databases.
- WSS_Content: Content database of the main web application created
- SharePoint_Config_<GUID>: SharePoint Configuration database
- SharePoint_AdminContent_<GUID>: SharePoint Central Administration content database.
- BDC_Service_DB_<GUID>: Business Connectivity Services database. SharePoint Foundation 2010 includes BCS but it doesn't have complete features. It contains all main features like BCS service, Pluggable framework, external list, external columns etc..
- WSS_Logging: This is SharePoint logging database, which is new in this version of SharePoint. This database has all events logged, which will help us to trace for errors, exceptions or any further information.
- WSS_Search_<MachineName>: This is for the SharePoint Foundation search database.
Enjoy using SharePoint 2010.